This Orange Cake with Honeyed Yogurt is low in fat and light, flavor honey cake with fresh orange flavor and so delicious to eat. The recipe uses a Greek yogurt but you can always substitute it with Bulgarian yogurt.
Orange Cake with Honeyed Yoghurt
- 1¼ cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1¼ cup caster sugar
- 150g cold unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- ⅓ cup flaked almonds
- Icing sugar for dusting
For the syrup
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp orange juice
For the honeyed yogurt
- 2 tbsp Greek honey
- 1 cup thick Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Use a spring-form pan with baking paper and spray some oil.
- Mix together the almond meal, semolina, flour, sugar and butter until you get a solid mixture and add the orange juice, eggs, orange rind, and milk.
- Mix well and then transfer the prepared mixture into the baking pan and smoother the surface then spread on top the almond flakes.
- Place it in the oven and bake it for at least 1 hour or until it is cooked.
- Place a small pan with water and bring it to boiling then add the sugar and orange juice.
- Mix together until you the sugar dissolves.
- Make lots of holes in the baked cake then slowly pour the syrup over the cake and leave it aside for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with icing sugar top and yogurt with drizzled honey over.
Inspiration and adaptation: greekvegetarian.blogspot.com, vegehomecooking.com, reluctantentertainer.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.