Banski Chomlek is one of the most delicious meals in the Bulgarian cuisine and it is prepared from pork or veal, or meat in combination with a knuckle. The dish has a long tradition for centuries and originate from a small city in Bulgaria called Bansko and it is popular dish for festive dinners on various occasions.
Banski Chomlek is a local cuisine originated from Bansko and Dobrinishte and it is based on old recipe.
- 1.5 kg onion
- 2 kg veal shank
- 1.5 kg potatoes
- 1 garlic
- 2 bay leaf
- 20 pcs black pepper
- 3 grains allspice
- 2 cup white wine
- 6 tbsp oil
- prepare the potatoes - peel and cut the potatoes in big pieces.
- Transfer half of the potatoes to the bottom of an clay pot.
- Cover the potatoes with half of the onions and arrange the sliced veal shank. Then add the rest of the potatoes and onions on top of the shank.
- Add the spices black pepper, bay leaf, and allspice grains.
- Add the 2 cups white wine into the pot, add the whole cloves of garlic and pour water to the middle of the pot.
- Last step is to add the oil and cover clay pot with aluminum foil and then place the lid on top.
- Heat the oven to max temperature and bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180 degrees and bake for about 3.5 hours.
Inspiration and adaptation: leonardobansko.com, old.e-tourism-bg-mk.eu, gotvim.net
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.
Did you make this Banski Chomlek recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!