Ham and Bean Soup (Šunkom i Pasuljem) is very easy to make just through everything in the slow cooker and leave it overnight at low setting and in the morning you’ll have the soup ready. You can keep it for a few days in the fridge or freeze the soup for later use.
Ham and Bean Soup
- 1 lb smoked ham shank or ham hocks
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans or 1 large jar of the beans, drained, and rinsed
- 5 cup homemade chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Grease the slow cooker or crockpot then place the ham shank or ham hocks at the bottom then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover the slow cooker and and cook on low heat setting until the meat is tender for 5-6 hours.
- When ready take out the ham and remove any fat from it then chop the meat from the bone into small pieces. Return back to the soup and stir, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread or pogacha.
Inspiration and adaptation: cookingserbian.blogspot.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Serbian cuisine.