Revithosoupa (Greek Chickpea Soup) is a traditional Greek soup made using dried chickpeas soaked overnight and boiled the next day in vegetable stock. If you follow this process you can be sure that it will definitely taste better. Canned chickpeas save time and are a great alternative to dry chickpeas but again the taste will be a little bit different. If you prefer thicker soup you can add some potato cubes.
Revithosoupa (Greek Chickpea Soup)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (yellow or red), chopped finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 liter veggie broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice peeled and cut in half
- 800 gm cans of chickpeas 400gm each
- 1-2 sprigs thyme leaves
- 2 tsp salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Heat over medium heat a soup pot with the olive oil. Chop the onion and add it to the pot along with the bay leaf and thyme leaves.
- Saute the onion then season with salt and black ground pepper. Then pour the vegan stock with 1 tbsp lemon juice and bring it to a boil.
- Drained the canned chickpeas and add them to the pot, and cook for 10 mins.
- Transfer half of the the soup to a different pot and use a hand blender or pour it into a blender and blend it to a smooth liquid. Pout it back to the pot with the other half.
- Serve hot with chilli flakes and thyme leaves for garnish.
Inspiration and adaptation: miakouppa.com, kali-orexi.com.au, americanmoments.net
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.