Rolled Dumplings with Beans are most popular in Dolenjska Region, but they are a well-known dish in every region of Slovenia. They are made of wheat flour stretch dough filled with mashed beans. In some variations of the štruklji recipe, you can add eggs as well.
Rolled Dumplings with Beans
For the dry bean filling:
- 300 g pre-cooked beans
- 100 g sour cream
- black pepper
- fresh parsley finely chopped
- garlic finally chopped
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- Add the beans into a food processor and mash them well. Then add all the ingredients but leave the bread crumbs.
- Take out the ready dough and roll it out on a flat surface and stretch. Spread on top the filling and roll it, then cut the roll into smaller pieces.
- Boil a water into a pot and add salt. Then place the dumplings and boil them for 30 minutes.
- Drain them and transfer them on a serving plate.
- In a frying pan melt a butter and add the bread crumbs. Fried them for a few minutes then spread them over the dumplings.
- Serve them with goulash or roast meat.
Photo and source: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.