Peas and Beef Stew Grašak is a popular meal not just in Montenegro but in its surrounding neighbors as well. This is a simple beef with peas meal but at the same time a unique dish that can be ideal all year long.
If you are a meat-lover or especially a beef lover, this soup is a great way to add some vegetables like peas and carrots to your meal.
The recipe is easy to follow and it will keep you satisfied for a while. If you are vegan or if you just want to replace the beef with a vegan substitute you can create your own vegan beef alternative
Peas and Beef Stew
- 500 g peas
- 2 larger carrots
- 250 g minced meat
- 1 small onion
- 200 ml tomato juice
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground red pepper
- celery leaves
- black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Use a cutting board and sharp knife to chop the onion into small cubes and cut the carrot into rings.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add the minced meat and simmer over medium heat until it turns brown.
- Transfer to a pot and add the peas, chopped carrot and season with ground red pepper, salt and black pepper.
- If needed add more water, add tomato paste for a thinner or thicker soup.
- Bring the pot to boiling and reduce the temperature, cover and cook until the vegetables are cooked. Add fresh spices before cooking is done.
Photo credit and inspiration: slatko-slani-recepti.blogspot.com, receptizajela.com, recepti.com
Did you make this Peas and Beef Stew Grašak recipe?
Explore other recipes from the traditional Montenegro cuisine.