Bulgarian Holiday Cookie Maslenki are a popular traditional sandwich cookie, cut into shapes and filled with jam, prepared for Christmas. You can use almost any jam flavors for these cookies like strawberry, rose-bud, apricot or raspberry jam. Traditionally, the cookies are made out of lard, but you can replace it with butter.
Bulgarian Holiday Cookie Maslenki
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup lard or butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 jar tart jam rosehip, plum, raspberry, or apricot
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs then add the sugar and vanilla and whisk for a few minutes until gets foamy liquid.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat and melt the butter or lard. Then leave it aside to cool. After a few minutes add it to the egg-sugar mixture, whisking constantly.
- In a different bowl whisk together the baking powder with flour add it to the egg mixture slowly.
- Roll out the dough on a floury cutting board to 1/8-inch thickness. Then cut with a round cutter from the dough cookies and transfer them to a baking pan with a parchment paper.
- In the center of half of the cookies cut out a hole and you can use that for forming extra cookies.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for about 8 minutes.
- Spread a jam of choice to the cookies without holes, while on the cookies with holes sprinkle with confectioner sugar.
- Last step is to form the sandwich by pressing together jam-filled cookie with holed-cookies.
Inspiration and adaptation: receptite.com, milaincookingland.com, kulinar.bg
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.