Cabbage with Rice (Lahanorizo) is a traditional Greek vegan dish made with cabbage and rice. It is very low cost to prepare using cheap ingredients and can be served with a spoon of Greek yogurt on top.
Cabbage with Rice (Lahanorizo)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 10 oz small cabbage
- ½ tomato paste
- black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup medium grain rice
- 1 Lemon
- Sauté the onion in a medium pot with olive oil until became translucent, then add the cabbage and mix well.
- Cook for a few minutes then add 1 cup hot water and let it cook until cabbage is soft for about for 25 minutes.
- Then mix in a small bowl tomato paste with 3 tbsp of water, and season with salt, freshly ground pepper and cayenne pepper. Add the mix to the cabbage.
- Then add ½ cup rice, and 1 ¼ cup hot water stir well and cook it for about 15 minutes.
- Make sure when rice is cooked there is still a little bit of water in the pot, and don't overcook the rice.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and lemon, before serving.
Inspiration and adaptation: elenisaltas.com, akispetretzikis.com, chefonair.gr
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.