Kalugerska salad is delicious and healthy, full with veggies salad made from gherkin, boiled haricot beans, onion, spread from roasted red pepper and tomatoes. The spread is called ljutenitsa and it is a popular vegetable spread across the Balkans, known with different names.
- 1.7 kg haricot beans
- 920 g red peppers
- 580 g pickles
- 200 g onion
- 100 g olive oil
- 60 g vinegar
- 60 g parsley
- 50 g ljutenica
- 10 g salt
- 20 g mint
- Place a pot with water and haricot beans over medium heat and bring to boiling untill the beans cook.
- Finely chop the onion and cut the pickles in cubes.
- Roast the red peppers in the stove or on a barbeque and leave them aside to cool down.
- Clean the roasted red peppers and cut them along side and add them to a bowl.
- Add the cooked beans to the bowl and mix it together.
- Prepare the dressing with the olive oil and vinegar, salt and add it to the bowl and mix it together.
- Sprinkle some freshly chopped parley and spread some Ljutenica on top.
Inspiration and adaptation: foodfuntravel.com, recipesbg.com
Photo credit: kulinari.net
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.