Lepinja, or Somun is a soft and fluffy traditional bread from Bosnian region that goes perfect with your meal. Bread is a popular across the Balkans. Somun is a type of thin round bread with variations in making the bread across the other Balkan countries.
Lepinja is a soft and fluffy traditional bread from Bosnian region that goes perfect with your meal. Bread is a popular across the Balkans.
- 8 cup flour
- 1¼ cup milk
- 5 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Use a large bowl and mix all dry ingredients but leave the salt.
- You can use a hook blender or knead by hand and slowly add water and milk.
- Knead for a couple minutes and then add the salt. Then continue kneading for a few more minutes by changing speed from low to medium and vice versa until you see the dough is getting sticky.
- Place it on a floured cutting board and knead the dough with your hands for a couple minutes. Then you can transfer it to a large bowl now and cover it. Keep it at warm place for about 45 minutes to doubles in size.
- After the dough double its size split it into pieces of approximately 1/2 lb. Spread some flour on the cutting board and form dough balls with your hands and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Then using the palm of your hand press and flatten each piece of dough. If necessary, finish with a roll pin to level but without much pressure.
- Place baking sheet at the bottom of a baking dish and place each loaf and place on a lined with parchment paper. Keep it like that for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 410F and place the baking dish with the loaf inside. After baking for 5 minutes reduce the temperature to 300F and continue baking for 10 more minutes.
- After it is ready wrap each lepinja loaves with a cloth and let them cool off for 10 minutes out of the oven.
Inspiration and adaptation: coolinarika.com, curiouscuisiniere.com, tasteatlas.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bosnia and Herzegovina cuisine.
Did you make this Lepinja recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!