Lyutenitsa is a vegan vegetable spread made from tomatoes, red peppers, chili peppers, pureed together. It has many varieties hot as in spicy, throughout the country. You can spread this Bulgarian vegetable dip on a slide of bread with feta cheese on top as an appetizer or have it as a side dish.
- 4 lb red peppers
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- Wash and roast the peppers then transfer to a large bowl with a cover.
- Wash the tomatoes, peel the peppers and remove the seeds and stems.
- Peel peppers. Remove stems and seeds.
- Boil a large pot with water over medium heat and add tomatoes and boil for 1 minute.
- Then remove the tomatoes and rinse with cold water, peel and chop them.
- Add them to the pot and combine them with the peppers, season with salt, sugar, and oil.
- Cook over medium heat for 1½ hours, then remove from heat and let it cool.
- Fill glass jars with lyutenitsa and close tight.
- You can keep in the fridge for up to 10 days or sterilize.
Inspiration and adaptation: cuisinebgcr.wordpress.com, tasteatlas.com, recipesbg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.