Patatnik is a traditional Bulgarian potato-based dish characteristic of the Rhodope Mountains made of grated potatoes, onions, salt and mint. In other regions of Bulgaria additional ingredients include sirene, savory or peppers.
- 3 lb potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp dried spearmint
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Peel the potatoes, and grate them in a bowl then squeeze any liquid and place them into a large bowl.
- Peel and grate the onions and mixed with the squeezed potatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper, vegetable oil and dried mint and add eggs to the bowl. Stir well the mixture and leave it aside.
- Grease a round baking dish with 1 tbsp butter or oil, then dust the bottom of the dish with 2 tbsp flour.
- Transfer the ready potato mixture from the bowl into the baking dish. Use your palms to flatten the mixture into the dish by pressing it. Sprinkle 2 tbsp flour and some butter on top.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Inspiration and adaptation: wikimedia.org, 196flavors.com, tasteatlas.com
Photo: Bin im Garten/Wikipedia
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.