These Greek pita sandwiches are stuffed into pita bread with vegetarian salad and feta cheese, and served with a homemade yogurt sauce. Sandwiches Pita or pitta, is a family of yeast-leavened round flatbreads baked from wheat flour, common in the Mediterranean and Middle East cuisines. You can replace the chickpeas with chicken if you want to add meat.
- 1 cucumber
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Splash white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 4 8-inch diameter whole wheat pita breads, halved
- Wash and peel the cucumber if not organic then chop it in small pieces. Cut the onion in thin slices.
- On a cutting board with a sharp knife dice the green pepper and slice the cherry tomatoes in two.
- Drain the chickpeas from the can and wash them. Place or an airtight container
- In a large bowl place all vegetables and add 1 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp white wine vinegar, and season with fresh ground pepper pepper and ½ tsp kosher salt.
- Add the feta cheese on top and leave for a few minutes before serving.
For the yogurt sauce
- Chop the fresh dill and add it to a small bowl along with 1 cup yogurt, ½ tsp garlic powder, and mix with white wine vinegar, ¼ tsp kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Transfer the salad mixture from the bowl to the pita bread and serve with the yogurt sauce.
Inspiration and adaptation: acouplecooks.com, wikipedia.org, tastybg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.