Romanian Fried Cheese Doughnut Recipe (Papanasi) are traditional fried pastry, cheese doughnut shaped with a small sphere and cherry preserves in between and confectioners sugar on top. They are usually filled with a type of soft cheese called urdă.
Romanian Cheese Doughnuts Papanasi
- 4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest grated
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Whipped cream or sour cream
- cooking oil
- powdered sugar to garnish
- Fruit preserve strawberry, raspberry, sour cherry etc.
- Use a large bowl to mix together the cottage cheese, baking powder and sugar, then add the eggs, salt, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Then add the flour but slowly and keep mixing until you get a smooth as possible, but make sure the dough is not too sticky.
- Turn the stove on medium high heat and place a frying pan with oil.
- With the help of your the palm form small balls of dough, with a hole in the middle roll them into flour and place them in the pan.
- When you see they are getting golden brown flip them on the other side and then transfer them into a paper towel to remove any extra oil.
- You can combine the doughnut with some sour raspberry or cherry preserve on top add the small ball on top of that
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and serve while warm.
Inspiration and adaptation: internationalcuisine.com, wikipedia.org, mygorgeousrecipes.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Romanian cuisine.