Romanian Mămăliga Baked Recipe (Polenta) is a traditional porridge dish in Romania made from yellow maize flour. This Mămăligă is also traditional in Moldova and West Ukraine, while in Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia is known as polenta.
Romanian Mămăliga Baked (Polenta)
- 4 cup water
- 2 cup ground coarse cornmeal
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup shredded feta cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- Turn the stove on high heat and add a large pot with water. Add salt and bring to boil.
- Recuce the heat to medium and and slowly add in the cornmeal.
- Stir constantly for about 20 minutes. When you notice that is easily to take off the side of the pot, then it is ready.
- You can serve it by itself or with feta cheese, white cheese or sour cream on top.
For the Baked Mamaliga:
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
- You can use a greased pan and transfer half of the porridge into.
- Melt ½ of the butter and pour it on top.
- Mix together the shredded feta cheese and 4 eggs. You can use a whisk to mix them well together.
- Pour the ready mixture over the over the porridge in the pan, then add the rest of the porridge on top.
- Pour the rest melted butter on top and bake until the top becomes lightly browned or for 20 minutes.
- You can serve with sour cream on top.
Inspiration and adaptation: turistprinromania.com, internationalcuisine.com, wikipedia.org
Explore other recipes from the traditional Romanian cuisine.