Traditional Bulgarian Moussaka
Moussaka is beloved Balkan and Middle East dish. Its preparation depends on the region. In Bulgaria Moussaka is based on potatoes and ground meat.
- 2 lb potatoes, cut in small cubes
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- Start with cooking the onion in a pan with 1/4 oil until golden brown. Then add the ground meat, the pepper, the paprika, and half the salt.
- Fry until meat gets brown and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix well with the potatoes and the other 1/2 tablespoon of salt. Add the mixture in a casserole pan with the rest of the oil. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes on 425 F (~220 C).
- Mix the milk and the eggs separately and pour on top of the meal for the last 10 minutes in the oven untill it turns brownish.
Photo credit and inspiration: deliciousmeetshealthy.com,cuisinebgcr.wordpress.com