Traditional Bulgarian Moussaka recipe is made with potatoes, ground beef and vegetables like tomato, onion, and garlic. It’s absolutely delicious and popular across Balkan and Middle East cuisines. Depending on the region its preparation may vary. In Bulgaria Moussaka is based on potatoes and ground meat.
Traditional Bulgarian Moussaka
- 2 lb potatoes, cut in small cubes
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- Start with cooking the onion in a pan with 1/4 oil until golden brown. Then add the ground meat, the pepper, the paprika, and half the salt.
- Fry until meat gets brown and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix well with the potatoes and the other 1/2 tablespoon of salt. Add the mixture in a casserole pan with the rest of the oil. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes on 425 F (~220 C).
- Mix the milk and the eggs separately and pour on top of the meal for the last 10 minutes in the oven untill it turns brownish.
Photo credit and inspiration: deliciousmeetshealthy.com, cuisinebgcr.wordpress.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.