Traditional Bulgarian Yogurt is thick, delicious and creamy, sour-tasting yogurt, and the healthiest of all dairy products. The main bacterium used for the production of yogurt is called Lactobacillus bulgaricus, discovered by doctor Stamen Grigorov by isolating it from a yogurt sample.
Traditional Bulgarian Yogurt
- 2 liter milk any
- yogurt starter pack (freeze dried)
- In a large pot boil the milk so any bacteria can be killed. Take the pot off the heat and let it cool down to 110°F / 43°C.
- Use 1/4 tsp of the starter mix and add it to the pot. Stir well by for 4 minutes.
- Transfer the milk into separated glass jars and cover them.
- Keep them warm at a room temperature, wrap them with towels and leave them aside for 6 hours.
Inspiration and adaptation: bulgarianyogurt.us, cuisinebgcr.wordpress.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.