These Walnut Cookies Orehovki are very easy to make with only with 3 ingredients and are tasty with a strong nutty flavor. Walnuts are popular nut in Bulgaria, but of course if you do not have walnuts you can try with different type of nuts.
Walnut Cookies (orehovki)
- 2 cup finely ground walnuts
- 3 egg whites
- 200 g powdered sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place a pot with water on the stove and heat it up to medium heat.
- Add the egg whites in a bowl and use a hand mixer to beat until you make a frothy texture.
- Add the sugar slowly while still continuing to beat, add the cinnamon, vanilla, a pinch of salt, and finely ground walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 365° F/180° C.
- Use about 2 tbs of the dough to form small balls with your hands then place them on baking dish, covered with paper. Press a little bit on top to flatten them.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
Inspiration and adaptation: 1001recepti.com, viktoriastable.com, recipesbg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.