Baked Lamb and Rice with Yogurt or Kosovo Tavë Kosi is a delicious Kosovo Tavë Kosi recipe. First cooked with garlic and rice the lamb is then seasoned with oregano. When baked in the oven the dish turns golden brown and souffle-like due to the egg yogurt mixture. This dish of baked lamb is typical in Kosovo and a popular food in Albania.
Baked Lamb and Rice with Yogurt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp long grain white rice
- 2 lb lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cup plain yogurt
- 5 eggs
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil and 3 tbsp. butter.
- Toss the lamb with 1⁄4 cup flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the lamb to the saucepan and cook for 10–12 minutes and don't forget to turn it from time to time until it starts getting brown.
- Then add to the saucepan garlic, rice, and 1⁄2 cup water and let it boil.
- After it starts boiling reduce heat to medium-low and cover it. Cook for another 15-20 minutes until rice is softened or tender.
- Add to the pan salt, pepper and oregano, stir well and transfer it to a baking dish.
- You can use the same saucepan and add the rest of the butter and turn the heat to medium-high.
- Add remaining flour and whisk until you get smooth and cook it for about 2 minutes.
- Now you can turn off the heat and take it off. Add nutmeg, yogurt, eggs, salt, and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Cover the lamb mixture in the baking dish with this yogurt sauce.
- Place it in the oven and bake for about 45–60 minutes or until the lamb gets tender.
Inspiration and adaptation: internationalcuisine.com, wikipedia.org,
Explore other recipes from traditional Kosovo cuisine.