Turkish Kebabs with Tomato Chilli Sauce
Turkish Kebabs with Tomato Chilli Sauce is a great grilling recipe popular especially in the summer. Originated from Turkey, variations of this recipe spread across the globe. These spicy chicken kebabs can marinate for 12 hours prior use the chicken kebabs, for extra flavor. You can serve them in a warm flatbread wrap with chilli and yogurtsouce on top.
Turkish kebabs with tomato chilli sauce
For extra flavor, you can marinate for 12 hours prior use the chicken kebabs can. The warm flatbread goes really well with chili sauce and the yogurt brings a little coolness.
For the dough
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp chilli flakes (Aleppo are nice)
- 1 thumb-sized red chilli, stem removed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp sumac
long pickled chillis (guindillas)
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 300 g baby plum tomatoes
- a handful fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g Greek yogurt
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- a handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 Middle Eastern flatbreads
- First, use a medium bowl to mix the lemon juice with 3 tbsp yogurt, 1 tsp tomato puree, dried red chilli flakes, half the spices, add 1 garlic clove, crushed and some seasoning.
- You can toss the chicken into the marinate mixture, cover it and leave it for at least 1 hour in the fridge, best if you can leave them for up to 12 hours or overnight.
- Preparing the chilli sauce. Use a food processor for this sauce. Put inside the whole red chilli or dried red chilli flakes, the rest of the spices, garlic clove, tomato purée, 1 tbsp olive oil, half the red onion and the pomegranate molasses, seasoning and pulse until you get a purée like texture. Set aside for later use.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C. Place the chicken pieces onto skewers. You can use metal skewers or if you use bamboo wooden skewers make sure you have been soaked them before.
- Heat a grilled pan with a few drops of oil and place the chicken. When chicken skewers change color to golden brown turn it on the other side and then transfer it to a baking tray. Place the tray in the oven and bake the skewers for about 10 mins.
- You can use the rest of the red onion, chillis, the remaining Greek yogurt, parsley and coriander to serve the chicken on flatbreads pure chilli sauce on top.
Adaptation from: thehappyfoodie.co.uk, flawlessfood.co.uk,
Explore other recipes from traditional Turkish cuisine.
Did you make this Turkish Kebabs with Tomato Chilli Sauce recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!