Bulgarian Nettle Soup has a very unique and delicious nutty taste with flavor of mild garlic, made with vegetables the addition of rice and it is packed with cleansing nutrients and minerals. This traditional soup prepared from stinging nettles is eaten mainly during spring and early summer, when young nettle buds are collected..
Bulgarian Nettle Soup
- 1 lb fresh nettle leaves,
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup white rice
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- feta cheese
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Prepare the nettle by removing stems, wash it and chop it.
- Turn the heat on medium and place a large pot with olive oil. Sauté the onions and garlic until soft and translucent, then add the carrots. Cook for 5 min until soft.
- Next add the prepared nettle leaves and cook for another 5 min, and season with salt, black pepper, red pepper and some cayenne pepper.
- Then add water, the walnuts, the rice and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- You can serve it with a spoon of Bulgarian yogurt or crumbled feta
Inspiration and adaptation: bgcooks.com, bulgaropedia.org, foodfuntravel.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.