Prebranac Baked Beans is a traditional Serbian dish popular across other Balkan countries, and it is easy to make, nutritious and best served in winter. Beans are popular in the Balkans and they can be cooked in different ways including frying, boiling, and baking.
Prebranac baked beans
- 500 g beans
- 3 dl oil
- 1 kg onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- bay leaf
- Paprika powder
- ground black pepper
- A pot with water bring it to a boil, then add the white dry beans and cover.
- After it boils change the water with new and cook until the beans become soft. Then drain them again.
- Slice the onion into thin rounds.
- Place a pan with one part of the oil over medium heat and saute the onions until they turn translucent.
- Season with salt, ground pepper and paprika powder.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a baking dish cover the bottom of the dish with oil and then spread part of the white beans.
- Add the onions over them. Then pour another part of the beans again and the onions again until use them all. After each layer of onions add some oil.
- Finish it a layer with beans and bay leaf on top, sprinkle some hot pepper and place garlic cloves and again oil on top.
- Place it in the oven and bake for about half an hour.
Inspiration and adaptation: serbia.com, rakijalounge.com, kuhinjazaposlenezene.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Serbian cuisine.