Byrek Me Spinaq (Albanian Spinach Byrek)
This Byrek Me Spinaq or Albanian spinach Burek is filled pastries made of a thin flaky dough known as yufka or phyllo. You can find people calling it different names, some will call it Borek, Burek or even Pite. Börek is also very popular in the cuisines of Balkans and North Africa. Traditional to southern Albania, byrek is made throughout the country with variations.
Byrek me Spinaq
This Byrek Me Spinaq or Albanian spinach pie can attract with it delicious taste and it is definitely something you should try!
- 1 lb bunches of spinach chopped
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese diced
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup olive oil divided
- 1 packet Phyllo dough sheets 1 packet about 28 sheets
- Use a sharp knife and cutting board to chop the spinach. Transfer the chopped spinach to a large bowl and sprinkle salt and mix it.
- Use a different bowl to whisk together the eggs with feta, onions, and ½ cup of olive oil, mix it with the spinach and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C degrees.
- Brush the bottom of pie tin with olive oil ( you can use a 8 or 9” pie tin).
- Open the dough package and put a two sheets at the bottom, then brush with olive oil on top.
- Let some of the sheets along the long edge leaving about an 1” underneath.
- Cover with the spinach mixture, then add on top two sheet of dough.
- Repeat the same step this process and use up to half of the sheets.
- Now covering the mixture with the same way as you did at the bottom half.
- Roll the edges up and fold the bottom sheets over the top sheets.
- Use olive oil to bush the top
- Place it in the oven and bake until a golden brown or for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Inspiration and adaptation: missioneurovision.co.uk, internationalcuisine.com, athomeworldtraveler.com, myalbanianfood.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Albanian cuisine.
Did you make this Byrek Me Spinaq (Albanian Spinach Pie) recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!