Byrek me Spinaq
Try this Byrek me Spinaq, Albanian spinach pie. The taste is fantastic and worth a try!
- 1 lb bunches of spinach, chopped
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese, diced
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 packet Phyllo dough sheets 1 packet about 28 sheets
- In a bowl, sprinkle the chopped spinach with salt.
- Add the feta, ½ cup of olive oil, onions, eggs and mix all together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 8 or 9” pie tin, brush the bottom with some olive oil ( you will be using approx. ½ cup of olive oil to brush the layers of Phyllo dough.
- Lay two sheets of dough and brush with oil.
- Let the dough hang over the pie tin about 1” around.
- Repeat this process until ½ of the sheets are laid.
- Pour in the spinach mixture.
- Finish by covering the mixture with two sheet of dough at time, using the same method as the bottom half.
- Roll the edges up like a pizza crust.
- Bush the top with olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Photo credit and inspiration: missioneurovision.co.uk, internationalcuisine