These Cheese Filled Pastry (Croatia Zagorski Štrukli) are a popular traditional dish in Croatia, prepared from phyllo dough filled with fresh cottage cheese. The preparations are the same for both cooked and baked types of štrukli. The recipe originated from the northern region in Croatia and it was added to the list of cultural heritage maintained by Croatia’s Ministry of Culture
Croatia Zagorski Štrukli (Cheese filled pastry)
- 1 lb puff pastry dough
- 3 eggs
- ½ lb farmers cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese
- ½ lb feta cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Use a cutting board and with a floured surface and roll out the puff pastry dough. Make a long thin rectangle.
- In a bowl, prepare the stuffing by mixing the cottage cheese, egg and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to the rolled out puff pastry dough and spread the mixture.
- Roll up the dough into a long cylindrical log then twist the dough from the middle until you make a circle. Carefully fold the edge and add water to stick well.
- Cut into pieces using the edge of a plate into the lengths of 10 centimeters pieces.
- In a medium-sized pan, put the water to boil, add some oil, salt and add the pieces and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then transfer them to a baking dish. Whisk 1 egg, sour cream and salt to taste and pour over the pieces.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve as an appetizer.
Inspiration and adaptation: croatia.hr, wikipedia.org, worldfoodstory.co.uk
Explore other recipes from the traditional Croatian cuisine.