Cranberry Walnut Potica is a variation of Slovenia’s most famous dish – Potica. There are many opularity by a number of others such as poppyseed, cottage cheese, hazelnut, chocolate, tarragon, leek. This rich yeast pastry is a beloved Christmas tradition. It is also a traditional Easter dish.
Cranberry Walnut Potica
For the Dough
- 2 ¾ sticks butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cup sour cream
- 2 packages yeast
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 flour
- 1 tsp salt
For the Filling
- 2 lb ground walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup butter
- dried cranberries Optional
- In a large bowl mix butter sugar egg yolks sour cream. Then use a different bowl to mix yeast in warm milk and sugar. The add yeast to the first bowl mixture and mix well.
- Mix flour and salt and add to the mixture and make a soft dough kneading or using a stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Split into 4 parts and wrap in waxed paper and leave it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Roll each portion of the dough into a rectangle thicker and stretch.
- Spread each dough with about 2tbsp melted butter and ¼ of the nut/sugar mixture.
- Then sprinkle some dried cranberries, and drizzle with honey. Roll up and close the ends.
- Place them on a baking tray with a baking sheet for 1 ¼ hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Inspiration and adaptation: slovenianroots.blogspot.com, wikipedia.org, fandom.com
Photo: Michael R Perry/Wikipedia
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.