Fasolakia (Greek Green Beans) is a green bean in tomato sauce side dish and one of the simplest and tastiest vegetarians meals you can make. These slowly cooked green beans in tomato-based sauce goes perfect with protein-rich Greek baked ricotta.
Fasolakia - Green Bean Stew
- 1 kg fresh green beans
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 400 g roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 100 ml water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Prepare the beans by washing them and cut the ends, transfer to a bowl and leave it aside.
- Place over over low–medium heat a large pot with oil and add grated onions and saute for a few minutes.
- Then add the minced garlic and the beans and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add a little water and stir.
- Reduce to heat to very low and cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes with lid on the pot.
- Then increase heat to medium and add the parsley, remove the lid and cook for another 10 minutes until you get a thick tomato sauce.
Inspiration and adaptation: greekvegetarian.blogspot.com, cooklikeagreekblog.com, themodernproper.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.