Greek Meatballs with Lemon Sauce (Keftedes)
These Greek Meatballs with Lemon Sauce (Keftedes) are delicious and easy to make with a lot of flavor, juicy and mixed with onions and garlic, cooked in a lemony sauce and served with pita bread. They can be served as an appetizer or as a part of a main dish.
Meatballs with Lemon Sauce Keftedes
These tender meatballs have a lot of flavor, cooked in a lemony sauce and served with pita bread.
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 slice, day old bread, cubed and soaked in milk
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk, divided
- ½ lb ground lamb or pork
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Greek oregano
- 1 tsp organic ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- black pepper
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1¼ cup chicken broth
- Over medium heat place a large skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Saute the garlic and the chopped onions then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Soak the bread in water then squeeze and add to the bowl, then add the ground beef and lamb, spices, 1 egg, fresh mint, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well using your hands and add 1 tbsp lemon zest, and mix again.
- Wet your hands and form balls from the meat mixture and roll them into the flour.
- Over medium-high place a large skillet with olive oil and transfer the meat balls to the skillet.
- Turn the meatballs from both sides to fully cook them.
- Transfer the cooked meatballs to paper towel to remove any extra fat.
- After you cook all the meatballs add the chicken broth, 1 egg yolk with lemon juice to the skillet and stir well then add the lemon zest, and add the meatballs in the skillet.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with pita bread or salad.
Inspiration and adaptation: tastybg.com, recipesbg.com, pdrecipes.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.
Did you make this Greek Meatballs with Lemon Sauce (Keftedes) recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!