These Greek Meatballs with Lemon Sauce (Keftedes) are delicious and easy to make with a lot of flavor, juicy and mixed with onions and garlic, cooked in a lemony sauce and served with pita bread. They can be served as an appetizer or as a part of a main dish.
Meatballs with Lemon Sauce Keftedes
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 slice, day old bread, cubed and soaked in milk
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk, divided
- ½ lb ground lamb or pork
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Greek oregano
- 1 tsp organic ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- black pepper
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1¼ cup chicken broth
- Over medium heat place a large skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Saute the garlic and the chopped onions then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Soak the bread in water then squeeze and add to the bowl, then add the ground beef and lamb, spices, 1 egg, fresh mint, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well using your hands and add 1 tbsp lemon zest, and mix again.
- Wet your hands and form balls from the meat mixture and roll them into the flour.
- Over medium-high place a large skillet with olive oil and transfer the meat balls to the skillet.
- Turn the meatballs from both sides to fully cook them.
- Transfer the cooked meatballs to paper towel to remove any extra fat.
- After you cook all the meatballs add the chicken broth, 1 egg yolk with lemon juice to the skillet and stir well then add the lemon zest, and add the meatballs in the skillet.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with pita bread or salad.
Inspiration and adaptation: tastybg.com, recipesbg.com, pdrecipes.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.