Greek Potato and Almond Dip (Skordalia) is a delicious appetizer served room temperature and perfect to eat with vegetables or pita. Traditionally is made from a purée of potatoes with crushed garlic, almonds then beating olive oil and added some vinegar. In the Ionian Islands, the vinegar is replaced with cod stock and lemon, and it is served as a main dish.
Greek Potato and Almond Dip (Skordalia)
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Over a medium heat bring a pot with water to boiling. Add the raw almonds and boil for 1 minute, then rinse with cold water, and dry with a towel.
- Add the almonds in a food processor along with 1 tsp salt and process until finely ground.
- Place a pot with water over a medium heat, add the potatoes, and boil for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and mash them, then add the ground almonds and pressed garlic and stir well.
- Add the olive oil and whisk well the dip. Then add the vinegar, season with salt and stir well.
Inspiration and adaptation: thewanderlustkitchen.com, recipeswise.com, fandom.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.