Macedonian pizza or Pastrmalija is a Macedonian oval, or rectangular shaped pizza dough with sliced meat cubes on top of it and topped with an egg. You can often add hot pickled peppers. Pastrmalija comes from the word pastrma, meaning salted and dried meat of sheep or lamb. This pizza dough is based on the Turkish flatbread pide.
- 1-½ cup all-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast or 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp lukewarm milk
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp lard, divided
- 2 cup Center-cut Pork Chops, Cubed or combination of pork and salt cured ham
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 whole eggs
- First, prepare the meat by cutting it into cube pieces and season with salt, cayenne pepper, and pepper. Place it in refrigerator until you'll need it.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, salt, and , and stir well to combine. Add 1/2 cup of lukewarm water or milk and mix until all of the flour is absorbed. Leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the dough from the bowl to lightly floured cutting board and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in the bowl and turn, cover with a towel and let double its size for about 45 minutes, in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- When the dough is ready place it on a lightly floured cutting board and divide the dough into four pieces.
- You need to roll an oval shape from each piece of the dough, about ¼ inch thick, spread ½ a tablespoon of lard over the dough. When ready place them on baking dish with covered bottom with a baking sheet.
- Leaving a 2-inch border, press the meat into the center of the dough.
- Sprinkle the meat cubes on top of each dough oval and the remaining ½ tbsp of lard on top of the meat.
- Fold the edges of the crust over to make a border, with the fold touching, but not covering the meat.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until meat is done.
- Use a small bowl and whisk an egg until it is smooth.
- After he pizza is done brush the tops of the crust with the egg. Pour the rest of the egg on top of the meat, evenly across the top.
- Place the pizza back into the oven and bake it for another 5 to 7 minutes,
- Let pizza cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy it as appetizier or with salad.
Inspiration and adaptation: internationalcuisine.com, tastykitchen.com, fandom.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional North Macedonian cuisine.