Mekitsi (Bulgarian Fried Dough)
The mekitsas are fried in a pin and are typically served with jam, honey, cheese or even yogurt. They can be powdered with icing sugar.
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 1/8 cup warm water
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp Sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- canola oil or Peanut Oil
- Start the yeast in the warm water and set in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl add yogurt and baking soda, stir together (this will bubble) and set aside.
- Place 3 cups of flour in your food processor bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together until a ball forms. It takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from food processor. Make into a ball.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl. Let rise 60 minutes.
- Heat peanut (or vegetable) oil.
- Cut off a golf ball size piece of dough and with moist hands pull the dough into a flat disk about 3-4 inches in diameter.
- Fry in oil being sure to turn the dough when the first side is brown.
- When both sides are brown, remove from oil and place on a paper towel. For a sweet treat, when cool sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar or powdered sugar.
Photo credit and inspiration:, fauxchef5.wordpress.com