Revani cake is an Ottoman influence found in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern region and it is a classic delicious semolina cake. This yellow cake gets soaked in simple syrup. Over the years had been tweaked to perfection and you can find different variations of this delightful dessert in all Balkan countries.
Revani – Albanian Cake
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 ¾ water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup corn meal or semolina
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup pistachios, crushed for garnish
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for garnish
- fresh mint leaves for garnish
- 1 lemon, sliced for garnish
- First start with the syrup so it is not hot when you use it.
- Place a pot with water to medium heat and bring it to boil. Add the sugar stirring often. Keep it boiling till it starts getting thick or for about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and take off the pot and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Leave it aside.
- Preheat oven to to 350F/180C degrees.
- Use a large a bowl to mix together the yogurt, eggs, sugar and oil. Then add in the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Prepare a pan with dimensions 9x12 and oiled bottom part and pour the ready mixture into.
- Place it in the oven and bake until golden brown or for about 30 minutes.
- You can cut it into different shape as squares or diamond.
- Now it is time for the syrup. Take the cooled already syrup and pour it over the cake.
- You can garnish with powdered sugar or pistachios.
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine
Explore other recipes from the traditional Albanian cuisine.