Revani – Albanian Cake
This type of sweet baking bread cake called Revani. It gets its moistness from the syrup, which most of Albanian desserts feature and is a clear Ottoman influence.
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 ¾ water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup corn meal or semolina
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup pistachios, crushed for garnish
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for garnish
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- 1 lemon, sliced for garnish
- Make the syrup first so it has time to cool.
- Bring to boil the sugar and water, stirring often, boil for approx. 10-15 minutes but watch it close, as soon as it starts to get thick take it off the burner and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, yogurt, oil and sugar together.
- Add in dry ingredients until well blended.
- Pour into 9x12 greased pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into diamond shapes or squares.
- Pour the syrup over the cake.
- Garnish with pistachios, powdered sugar and twisted lemon slices.
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine