Spicy Red Lentil Soup
This Turkish red lentil soup recipe is healthy and comforting during autumn and winter. It's also nutritious.
- 1 cup red lentils (approx 150g)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, scrubbed and rougly chopped
- 1 large tomato, roughly chopped (or 1 400g tin)
- 1 dessert spoonful chilli flakes
- pinch of cumin
- salt to season
- pepper to season
For The Garnish
- 1 lemon wedge
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp dried mint
- In a large pan, heat a glug of olive oil.
- Add the potato and onion and keep stirring for a few minutes over a low to medium heat.
- Now add your lentils and mix together.
- Add your chopped tomato, chilli and cumin and stir.
- Now add two mugfuls of hot water or stock, salt and pepper and stir everything together.
- Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and give your red lentil soup a stir.
- Add more water or stock if necessary.
- Simmer for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mash or blend your red lentil soup.
- Ladle your soup into serving bowls and sprinkle your chilli flakes and dried mint over the top.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon wedge into your soup.
- Enjoy the soup.
The soup garnish is optional but it is very common in Turkey to add lemon, mint and chillies to red lentil soup.
Photo credit: kinnutrition.com.au