This spicy red lentil soup is made using common ingredients you probably already have at your pantry. This lentil soup recipe, popular during autumn and winter, is healthy and nutritious, originates from Turkish cuisine. Red lentil is a great source of protein, iron, high in fiber.
Spicy Red Lentil Soup
- 1 cup red lentils (approx 150g)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, scrubbed and rougly chopped
- 1 large tomato, roughly chopped (or 1 400g tin)
- 1 dessert spoonful chilli flakes
- pinch of cumin
- salt to season
- pepper to season
For The Garnish
- 1 lemon wedge
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp dried mint
- Heat a large pan, and add a few drops of olive oil.
- Over low to medium heat, add the onion and potato stir for a few minutes.
- Then add to them the red lentils and mix them together.
- Use a cutting board to chop the chilli, cumin and tomato. Add them to the pan and stir well.
- Now add salt and pepper, two cups of hot water and stir everything together.
- After it starts boiling, cover the pan and simmer for around 20 minutes, then stir the red lentil soup.
- If necessary, add more stock or water.
- For about 15-20 minutes you need to simmer.
- When it is ready you can remove your red lentil soup from the heat and blend or mash.
- Before serving the bowls to the dinner table you can sprinkle over the top chilli flakes and dried mint.
- Use one lemon to squeeze the juice into your soup.
- Enjoy the soup.
Explore other recipes from traditional Turkish cuisine.