Tripe Soup (Shkembe Chorba) is one of the most popular soups made with a tripe, water, flour, milk, red wine vinegar, garlic, and hot chili peppers and garnish with chopped parsley. This type of soup is popular across Balkans with different names and it is made with tripe (cow stomach). It is widely considered to be a great hangover remedy.[
Shkembe (Tripe Soup)
- 3½ cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion - chopped fine
- 1 bell pepper - cut into thin-strips
- ½ tsp marjoram, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp parsley - chopped fine
- 1 can can tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove - crushed
- 1½ lb tripe, cooked
- ⅔ cup Kashkaval cheese - grated
- In a large pot mix together the red pepper, onion, and butter, flour and stir in the tomato paste..
- Prepare the tripe by cutting them into thin strips and add them along with salt, marjoram, stock, and bay leaf to the pot.
- Cover the pot in half and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- When ready discard the bay leaf.
- In a small bowl salt, garlic and vinegar and let it soak for about an hour.
- Serve hot, garnish with the garlic and vinegar mixture and the hot chili peppers.
Inspiration and adaptation: survivalbg.info, wikibooks.org
Photo: Kiril Kapustin/Wikipedia
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.