Tutmanik (Bulgarian Feta Cheese Bread) is an amazingly delicious Bulgarian cheese bread quite easy to made with yogurt and eggs, with the white cheese or feta and brushed with layers of melted butter. Feta cheese is the most popular variety of white cheese.
For the dough
- 1½ lb flour
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk / lukewarm
For the filling
- 1 egg
- 8 tbsp butter
- 4 oz Bulgarian yogurt, beaten
- 13 oz Bulgarian feta cheese, crumbled sirene
For the decoration
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cold milk
For the Dough
- Use a small cup with water and dissolve yeast and sugar for 10 minutes.
- Leave the salt aside and mix the rest of the ingredients for the dough using a stand mixer dough for 5 minutes or 10 minutes by hand. Knead the dough and add water if needed until all of the flour is absorbed.
- Transfer it to a bowl, cover it with towel and leave it in a warm place for 1 h or until it doubles its size.
- In a large bowl crack an egg and mix with yogurt and feta cheese.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and divide it into equal pieces. Grease your hands and roll each piece to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and place parchment paper at the bottom of a baking pan.
- Add butter and filling on the surface of each piece of dough. Gently roll the dough to form a log and make a medium sized circle.
- Place them on a baking dish with parchment paper and let rise for 15 minutes. Coat them with some melted butter, egg yolk and milk mixture on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the bread is golden.
Inspiration and adaptation: yoli-bg.com, bgcooks.com, reddit.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.