Ajdovčki (Buckwheat Thumbprint Cookies) Recipe
Ajdovčki are biscuit made from wheat and buckwheat flour, ground walnuts, cocoa, butter, egg yolk and spices. Buckwheat flour is popular in the traditional Slovenian cuisine and has many health benefits and it is a great gluten-free alternative.
Ajdovčki (Buckwheat Thumbprint Cookies)
These cookies are not too sweet rich biscuit with a strong lovely nutty flavor.
- ⅔ cup white flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ⅔ cup ground walnuts
- 7 tbsp butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 knife tip cinnamon
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 knife tip cloves
- 2 tbsp rum
- preserves or jam
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add in the butter and mix.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolk and rum together. Pour it over the mixture and mix well with your hands. You can add a little water if necessary to have a dense dough.
- With your hands form small balls from the dough with the size of a walnut. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Make a depression in each ball with the handle of a wooden spoon, a chopstick, or your finger.
- Preheat the oven to 330° degrees
- Place a baking paper at the bottom of a baking dish and arrange the balls on top. Press each ball with your finger on top.
- Place them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove them from oven and use a spoon create a hole in the center and add a bit of jam.
- Bake for 5 more minutes at 300 degrees.
Inspiration and adaptation: slovenianroots.blogspot.com, okusno.je, blazkuha.si
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.
Did you make this Ajdovčki (Buckwheat Thumbprint Cookies) recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!