Albanian Leek Casserole (Tavë Me Presh) is usually made with lamb but you can use beef as well. This is a great way to implement this versatile vegetable into your kitchen. When caramelizes just enough the leeks add a full flavor and along with the meat create this delicious Albanian dish. A casserole is a variety of a large, deep pan, that you can use prepare different main meals.
Albanian Leek Casserole (Tavë Me Presh)
- 2 lb leeks
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 lb ground meat(lamb, beef)
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- Mild red pepper
- Cut off the edges of the green leaves from leeks and wash them. Use a cutting board and knife to cut leeks slantwise into 1-inch thick slices.
- Turn on the stove to medium heat and transfer them into frying pan.
- Add a little oil and sauté, transfer to a baking dish. Then add onion and ground meat and sauté in remaining oil in the pan. Add tomato sauce, beef stock, salt and pepper, red pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Over the sautéd leeks, pour meat mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve hot.
Inspiration and adaptation: myalbanianfood.com, worldfoods.weebly.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Albanian cuisine.