Boiled Leafy Greens (Horta Vrasta) are traditionally to eat in Greece and can be found with sweet taste (vlita, antidia, zochi) or bitter taste (radikia, xorta tou vounou). It is very popular to eat green vegetables in Greece.
Horta Vrasta: Boiled Leafy Greens Recipe
- 3 pound leafy green any leafy green of your choice, like chicory, chard
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 pepper
- Chop the roots of the green vegetables and wash them well before cooking.
- In a deep bowl filled with water soak the greens in a cup of white vinegar.
- Over medium heat place a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add a tbsp salt to the water in the pot then drain the greens and add them, and continue boiling for 25 minutes.
- Drain them and place in a bowl.
- Serve them hot or cold with olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
Inspiration and adaptation: greektastes.com, fandom.com,
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.