Eggplant Casserole with Tomatoes
This Turkish eggplant recipe "Imam Bayildi" is a perfect vegetarian weeknight dinner. It's great for making ahead of time, as the flavors only get better.
- 2 medium eggplant
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ red chili flakes
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a round baking dish with a small amount of olive oil.
- Slice eggplant into approximately 1/4-inch slices. Spritz eggplant with the olive oil-based cooking spray or with olive oil from an oil mister.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking dish and bake 25-30 minutes or until softened and lightly browned, turning once.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15-18 minutes or until very soft and beginning to turn golden.
- Add the garlic, coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper and stir until garlic is fragrant, approximately 15 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and heat through.
- Place a third of the tomato and onion combination in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top with half the eggplant, overlapping the eggplant as necessary.
- Spread a third of the tomato and onion combination over the eggplant.
- Top with remaining eggplant followed by the rest of the tomato and onion combination.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and bubbling.
Photo credit and inspiration: feedmephoebe.com, fromachefskitchen.com