This Turkish Eggplant Casserole with Tomatoes recipe is a great vegetarian dish you can enjoy for days. A casserole is specially designed variety of a large, deep pan or bowl for cooking a variety of dishes in the oven
Eggplant Casserole with Tomatoes
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- 2 medium eggplant
- ¼ red chili flakes
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Dash of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Use a round baking dish and brush it with a small amount of olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use the eggplant and slice it into 1/4-inch slices and brush them with olive oil.
- You can add black pepper and salt to taste.
- Take the baking dish from the oven, add baking paper at the bottom and add the eggplant slices. Place it in the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until you see they turn lightly browned.
- Now use a skillet and place it over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and add the onions, reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15-18 minutes until you see the onion starts turning gold color.
- Then add to the skillet coriander, garlic, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Stir well for about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well.
- Now take the baking dish from the oven and place one-third of the onion and tomato at the bottom.
- Add half of the eggplant slices by overlapping the eggplant.
- Spread one-third of the tomato and onion mixtureover the eggplant.
- Add the remaining eggplant slices and the rest of the tomato and onion mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Inspiration and adaptation: feedmephoebe.com, fromachefskitchen.com
Explore other recipes from traditional Turkish cuisine.