Buckwheat leavened dumplings (Ajdovi Vzhajanci) are traditional Slovenian buckwheat dish prepared from buckwheat flour. This type of flour is not so popular but have many health benefits. Dumplings are pieces of dough wrapped around many different fillings like meat, cheese, sauerkraut, fruits.
Buckwheat Leavened Dumplings (Ajdovi Vzhajanci)
- 250 g buckwheat flour
- 250 ml boiled water
- 125 g wheat flour
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the yeast:
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 100 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp wheat flour
- In a large bowl for kneading the dough, mix the buckwheat flour with a boiled water and leave it aside.
- Use a small bowl or glass to prepare a mixture from the yeast, sugar and flour into a lukewarm water, then cover and leave aside in warm place to rise for a few minutes.
- Now add the wheat flour and mix it with the buckwheat flour. Then add on one side of the bowl the salt and olive oil, but not touching it with the yeast directly so add the yeast in the middle.
- Knead the dough then cover it and put it in a warm place for one hour to rise.
- Transfer the dough to a floury flat surface and make a roll it and cut into 4 to 6 pieces.
- From each piece. make a small roller and leave it for 20 to 30 minutes to rise.
- Over medium heat bring a pot with water to boiling add salt then put them and cook for about 25 minutes.
Inspiration and adaptation: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com, wikipedia.org
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.