Bulgarian Meatball Soup (Supa Topcheta)
Bulgarian Meatball soup (Supa Topcheta) is a traditional Bulgarian soup, made from small meatballs prepared from minced meat and thickened with mix of egg, flour and yogurt. The minced meat (usually mix of 60% pork and 40% beef) is also known as ground meat.
Meatball soup (Supa Topcheta) is a traditional Bulgarian soup, made from very small meatballs prepared from minced meat and thickened with egg, flour and yogurt.
- 250 g ground meat
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 2 small potatoes
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp savory, dried
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- Use a cutting board and chop the potato and carrot into small cubes, and dice the onion.
- Mix the ground meat with a pinch of salt an pepper into a bowl. Moisten your hands with water or vinegar and form a ball of the ground meat mixture.
- In place add a few spoon of flour and roll each meatball into the flour. Add it to a bowl and set the meatballs aside.
- Heat up a pot with 1-2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent, then add the potatoes and carrot and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Then add 1.5l of water and bring it to boil, then add the meatballs and stir lightly.
- Season with salt, pepper and the savory. Cook until the meatballs and potatoes are fully cooked for about 25 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg, with the yogurt and whisk them well.
- Slowly add a little bit of the soup to the eggs mix well and return the egg mixture to the pot with the soup.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the soup for 5-10 minutes and stir continuously so the egg won't curdle.
Inspiration and adaptation: know-how-to-cook.com, balkanlicious.com, recipesbg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.
Did you make this Bulgarian Meatball soup (Supa Topcheta) recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!