This delicious Easy Bulgarian Baked Beans is full with flavor, nutrition and can be made with minimum ingredients. It is popular especially during the cold winter months. This soup as most of the Bulgarian soups is healthy and vegan.
Easy Bulgarian Baked Beans
- 1 lb dry white beans soaked in water for 8 hours or overnight
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 carrot — large, shredded
- 1 small onion — chopped
- ½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried summer savory spice
- 2 tsp dried mint spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ black pepper
- 3 tbsp flour
- White dry beans are the most popular type. Soak the dry beans in cold water the previous night and leave them overnight then drain and leave aside.
- Bring a pot with water to boiling and add the beans. Make sure they are covered with water.
- Boil the beans just for for 10-12 minutes then take it off the heat and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Over medium heat place a pot with oil and add the carrots and onions. Cook for 3 minutes, Stirring frequently for a few minutes until the onions became translucent.
- Then season with salt, pepper, dried spices and paprika, add tomato paste and stir constantly. Now transfer the beans to the pot and add water.
- Mix flour with 3 tbsp cold water in bowl until smooth liquid then add the mixture to the pot and stir.
- Place the pot in the oven if it is oven safe or transfer to a baking dish and bake for 1 hour.
Inspiration and adaptation: recipesbg.com, cookinglsl.com, receptite.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.