Easy Bulgarian Baked Beans
This comfort dish is inspired by a Bulgarian recipe and perfect for the colder months of the year and holidays.
- 1 lb dry white beans soaked in water for 8 hours or overnight
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 carrot — large, shredded
- 1 small onion — chopped
- ½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried summer savory spice
- 2 tsp dried mint spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ black pepper
- 3 tbsp flour
- Soak dry beans in cold water for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse. Add cold fresh water, covering the beans with 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain the water. Rinse.
- While the beans are boiling, preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small pan of oven safe braiser or dutch oven, heat oil and add onions and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent. Add tomato paste, salt, pepper, dried mint, dried savory and paprika, stir to combine. Add beans. Add water to cover the beans.
- In a small bowl combine flour with 3 tbsp cold water. Mix to combine. Add flour mixture to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bake beans for 50-60 minutes or until the water is absorbed, test for doneness. If you prefer the beans extra soft, add more water and continue baking, checking on them, until the desired doneness is achieved.
Photo credit and inspiration: cookinglsl.com