Eggplant Pepper Spread or Kyopolou is popular Bulgarian vegan spread prepared from from roasted eggplants, peppers, tomatoes paste and garlic. Similar spreads are popular in the Balkans and Turkey but with different variants and names such as ajvar or pinđur.
Eggplant Pepper Spread (Kiopoolu)
- 1½ lb eggplant
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 firm-ripe Roma tomatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp salt
- Grill or broil the peppers and eggplant, peel of the skin and set aside to cool in a covered bowl for 10 minutes.
- Use a food processor or a fork to puree the eggplant and peppers.
- Slowly add in the olive oil and stir well until mix with the puree.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with breads.
Inspiration and adaptation: receptite.com, recipesbg.com, alleasyrecipes.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.