This Albanian Fried Eggplant and Zucchini are lightly fried and it can be the perfect summer starter served with a delicious cucumber yogurt sauce and a little bit of garlic. You can use Bulgarian or Greek yogurt of prepare some yourself using Bulgarian yogurt starter kit.
Fried Eggplant and Zucchini
- 1 large eggplant or two medium, peeled and sliced lengthwise or in circles
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise or in circles
- ½ cucumber, peeled and chopped finely
- ½ cup yogurt, Greek style Bulgarian would work too
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tbsp salt- for sprinkling the eggplant and zucchini
- salt to taste
- 8 tbsp water
- olive oil for frying
- Wash the eggplant and zucchini and use a cutting board and cut them in slices. Add them to colander inside of a large bowl, salt the eggplant and zucchini and leave them aside for about 1 hour to drain.
- Prepare the yogurt sauce by mixing together yogurt, garlic, cucumber, and salt to taste. Finely chop cucumber before mixing it. You can put in the refrigerator to cool down before serving.
- Take the bowl with the eggplant and zucchini wash off the salt and make one final squeeze to remove any extra liquid.
- In a small bowl add ½ cup of flour and 6-8 tablespoons of water and mix together about to a smooth consistency.
- Turn the stove to to medium high and place a frying pan with olive oil to just cover the bottom. We do not want them too oily.
- Roll the eggplant and zucchini through the flour mixture on both sides and then transfer them to frying pan. Be careful to not get any hot oil drops over yourself.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides and then place on a paper towel to remove any extra oil.
- You can serve them when still warm with the cool yogurt cucumber sauce.
Inspiration and adaptation: fandom.com, internationalcuisine
Explore other recipes from the traditional Albanian cuisine.