This Stew with Potatoes and Paprika dish is from the northeast part of Slovenia and it is heavily influenced by Hungarian cuisine. It is a simple beef stew recipe that’s perfect for cold winter days.
Game stew with potatoes and paprika
- 300 g streaky bacon, diced
- 500 g beef, cubed (shin, chuck or stewing is best)
- 500 g wild boar, cubed (organic pork will do)
- 400 g onions (white or red)
- 800 g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika (spanish is excellent)
- Large pinch caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat a large soup saucepan with a little olive oil and add the onions and bacon.
- Stir for about 5-6 minutes, then add the peppers and continue to stir for another 4-5 minutes.
- Then add the meat and paprika, stir for 1-2 minutes, then pour water to cover the meat.
- Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat and let it cook for about one hour.
- After 1 hour add the rest of ingredients such as garlic, caraway seeds, potatoes, bay leaf, tomato puree and salt.
- Then continue to cook for another 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.
Inspiration and adaptation: 220stopinjposevno.com, recipeswise.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.