Game Stew with Potatoes and Paprika
This Stew with Potatoes and Paprika dish is from the northeast part of Slovenia and it is heavily influenced by Hungarian cuisine. It is a simple beef stew recipe that’s perfect for cold winter days.
Game stew with potatoes and paprika
This Game stew with potatoes and paprika dish is heavily influenced by Hungarian cuisine in the north east of Slovenia.
- 300 g streaky bacon, diced
- 500 g beef, cubed (shin, chuck or stewing is best)
- 500 g wild boar, cubed (organic pork will do)
- 400 g onions (white or red)
- 800 g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika (spanish is excellent)
- Large pinch caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat a large soup saucepan with a little olive oil and add the onions and bacon.
- Stir for about 5-6 minutes, then add the peppers and continue to stir for another 4-5 minutes.
- Then add the meat and paprika, stir for 1-2 minutes, then pour water to cover the meat.
- Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat and let it cook for about one hour.
- After 1 hour add the rest of ingredients such as garlic, caraway seeds, potatoes, bay leaf, tomato puree and salt.
- Then continue to cook for another 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.
Inspiration and adaptation: 220stopinjposevno.com, recipeswise.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.
Did you make this Game Stew with Potatoes and Paprika recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!