These Greek Braised Chicken Thighs is an easy to prepare recipe with a perfectly crisp skin and juicy chicken from inside. If you do not have Greek feta you can always use white cheese or Bulgarian feta.
Braised Chicken Thighs
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- juice of 1/2 of one lemon
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives
- lemon slices for garnish
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup feta cheese chunks
- Use a paper tower to dry the chicken and then season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat add a frying pan with the olive oil and butter. Add the chicken and fry for 3-4 minutes from each side.
- Place a deep pot over medium-high heat with olive oil and saute the sliced onions, then add the oregano and garlic, pour the white wine.
- While the wine is bubbling in the pot, use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits attached to the bottom of the pot.
- Return the fried chicken to the pot with the mixture and squeeze the lemon juice, then cover the pot and cook the chicken for 40 minutes on medium-low.
- When ready remove just the chicken to a plate and add feta and olives, and stir well with the mixture.
- Serve on a plate with the mixture and on top the chicken with with lemon slices.
Inspiration and adaptation: randiscountrykitchen.com, thewanderlustkitchen.com, recipeswise.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.