Greek Egg-Lemon Chicken Soup known as Avgolemono is simple to make with whisked eggs and lemon juice and has rich taste. You can find different lemon soups across the Mediterranean and the Middle East cuisines usually with meat. It’s healthy and has protein and vitamin C.
Chicken Soup Avgolemono: Greek Egg-Lemon Chicken Soup
- 1 whole chicken excess fat, trimmed and breast skin removed
- 12 cup water
- 2 carrots cut in half
- 2 celery stalks cut in half
- 1 onion peeled and cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta (or rice)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 lemons
- black pepper to taste
- Place a large stockpot with water over medium heat and add the chicken, carrots, bay leaves, black peppercorns, celery stalks, onion, and season with salt. After it starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for an hour.
- Take out the vegetables and the chicken and transfer them to a bowl. Use a fine sieve to strain the broth through then pour it back to the stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Uncover the pot and add the orzo pasta and continue cooking for 12 minutes until tender.
- in a small bowl beat the eggs until became frothy and add the lemon juice and the lemon zest while continuing to whisk to make the egg-lemon mixture.
- Into a separated bowl pour about 2 cups of the soup broth, after the pasta has cooked.
- Now mix the hot broth with the egg-lemon mixture but to prevent from curdling continue to whisk while pouring.
- Pour the egg-lemon mixture into the pot and let it cook on low temperature for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- You can put back the chicken meat and vegetables and serve warm.
Inspiration and adaptation: bowlofdelicious.com, tasteatlas.com, myjewishlearning.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.