Greek Eggplant Dip (Melitzanosalata) is a traditional Greek vegan dish recipe made from roasted eggplant, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. It is vegan and gluten free, and simple to prepare, perfect dip spread on a toasted bread. You may find different variations of an eggplant salads and appetizers across Balkans, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern cuisines
Greek Eggplant Dip
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400° F/ 200° C and place the eggplants into a baking dish with baking sheet to roast them for 50 to 60 minutes. Check them from time to time and rotate them, and don't forget to prick a few times before placing them into the oven otherwise the eggplant may crack from the heat.
- Peel the skin and chop the flesh and place in a colander for 20mins.
- Then place the eggplant to a bowl and mash with a fork for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the products and season with salt and pepper then stir well.
- Let it cool then serve with a few drops of olive oil and whole olives on top and some fresh parsley leaves.
Inspiration and adaptation: thewanderlustkitchen.com, amiraspantry.com, tryveganrecipes.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.