Greek Gigantes Recipe is a delicious healthy vegetarian dish prepared from large dried white beans cooked in a tomato-based sauce. If you do not have fasolia gigandes you can substitute with large lima beans.
- 1 lb dry gigantes beans, soaked overnight
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 can cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cup vegetarian, chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- olive oil for serving
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on high.
- You can also leave it overnight on low for 8-10 hours.
- After it's cooked drizzle olive oil on top and season with salt and ground black pepper.
Inspiration and adaptation: thehungrybites.com, wikipedia.org, tastybg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.