Greek Meatloaf (Rolo Kima) is tasty and filling main course, made from made from ground beef and pork, stuffed with eggs and juicy on the inside. It can be sliced like a loaf of bread to make individual portions. You can form the shape by hand or by cooking it in a loaf pan.
Greek Meat Loaf “Rolo Kima”
- 40 oz minced beef
- 30 oz minced pork
- 3.5 oz breadcrumbs
- 2 large red onions, grated
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, mashed
- 1/2 tsp powdered all-spice berries
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled
- 8-10 potatoes, cut into wedges
- 500-700 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl mix well using your hands the minced pork and beef with the tomatoes, onions, garlic, season with the salt and pepper, all-spice berries, and breadcrumbs .
- Knead the mix for 10 minutes then cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Over medium heat place a small pot with water and bring it boiling. Add the eggs and boil for a few minutes.
- Place a baking paper over a cutting board and transfer half of the meat mixture over then place next to each other the hard-boiled eggs. Use the rest of the mixture to cover and roll the parchment paper to form a roll.
- Then remove the baking paper and transfer the formed roll into a baking pan. You can surround it with the potato pieces.
- Preheated the oven to 180° C.
- Use a bowl to mix the tomato paste, olive oil and the stock, then pour 2/3 of it over the potatoes and meat roll.
- Place it in the oven and bake it for 1 hour 30 minutes. If it start getting dry you can add more of the stock mixture.
- Once the meatloaf is out of the oven let it rest for 15 minutes, to make it easier to slice.
- Serve it sliced with poured stock tomatoe mixture on top.
Inspiration and adaptation: greekerthanthegreeks.com, wikipedia.org, thehungrybites.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.