Greek Spinach and Rice (Spanakokorizo)
Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach and Rice) is a typical Greek vegetarian country dish of spinach and rice, delicious and easy to make and served with feta on top. A traditional recipe includes the use of long-grain rice and fresh spinach.
Spinach and Rice – Spanakokorizo
Spanakorizo is a simple Greek dish, made with spinach and rice, lemon juice, and feta.
- 1 lb fresh spinach rinsed
- ½ Juice of half lemon
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dry mint
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup medium grain rice
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Wash the spinach and place it into a large pot wilt lemon juice and 1 tsp olive oil. Leave it aside.
- Place a pot with olive oil over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté the onion until it gets translucent.
- Then add the dry mint, dill, spinach, and 2/3 cup warm water and let it boil.
- Then add the pepper, rice, season with salt and let it cook for about 20 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice on top and drizzle some olive oil and feta before serving.
Inspiration and adaptation: wikipedia.org, akispetretzikis.com, hintofhealthy.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.
Did you make this Greek Spinach and Rice (Spanakokorizo) recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!